Friday, February 10, 2012

Coloring Flowers for Versatility and Economy

Do you ever have the color of flowers that you need?  Me either.  As an economical measure, I have solved my problem by buying only white flowers and adding color.   Usually, patterned paper is realitively inexpensive, but you can run up a bill quickly buying accessories so I make most of my own.
For flowers, I use anything that will stain the colors I need.  Mulberry flowers like Vicky used on her IFS post last Thursday take coloring the best. http://ideasforscrapbookers.blogspot.com/2012/02/soft-petal-flowers.html  In the example included here, I had a few sheets of a couple different paper collections from My Mind's Eye and no matching embellishments.  One flower was painted, using different shades of acrylic pink paint.  Acrylic paints are inexpensive and a few bottles of basic colors allow you to blend whatever color you need.  For the top coat I used a dry mustache brush (no idea where I got it) to strafe the lighter color on top of the dark color.  Made a mistake?  No big deal, just re-paint it!

The teal flowers were colored using alcohol ink.  I applied the ink to a dabber, then added some alcohol with a medicine dropper to lighten up the color.  You can buy alcohol ink medium where ever the inks are sold, but it is ordinary rubbing alcohol and costs a lot more than the quart bottle of alcohol at your local discount store.    I like to streak the colors for depth but an even color is also easily accomplished.  For the following layout the flowers were looking a little drab so I finished them off with glossy Modge Podge.



I used Pam Callaghan (IFS)'s Big Heart Template.  I loved her page and had to use the sketch .  http://ideasforscrapbookers.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-big-heart-sketch.html.

I have also used a direct ink pad to flower method as well as the new distress ink pads.  Another favorite technique is to stamp a design which adds interest and color.  Since I live five hours from a scrapbook store, improvise is my middle name.  There is not much you can do to color a flower than can't be undone or re-done so don't be afraid to try what you have on hand.
 

4 comments:

  1. Really like the subtle shading effect that you got. Great way to make things match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super idea! I myself love to buy white flowers so I can re-do them the way I want! Love the idea of paint and alcohol..have to give that a go:)) Tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always forget about recoloring flowers to make them match! Thanks so much for the reminder. Great post!

    ReplyDelete