Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Card Boxes!

Here’s a quick and inexpensive Christmas gift. The card box will hold five cards and five envelopes easily. The cards were quick and easy to make and I really loved how they turned out. I used plain white cardstock (like from the office supply store). I cut each 8.5 x 11 sheet in half crosswise, which gave me two cards from each sheet of cardstock that measure 4.25 x 5.5 inches.

(BTW...I recently purchased a Scor-Pal...and it was perfect for this project, although not necessary)
For each of the cards, I stamped the Christmas design in black ink in the corner of the card and then added a word phrase approximately 1/2 inch from the edge of the card. Using template (cut it the same size as the card front, then cut a rectangle from the middle leaving 1/2 inch on each edge) or use the Tim Holtz zero center ruler. Using the ruler, I drew a solid black line 1/2 inch from the edge of the card. When I came to a spot that was stamped...I just skipped over it and resumed my line on the other side of the stamped image.








Now, here's the pattern for the adorable little box. (this is not my original idea, I saw one at Splitcoast Stampers and I've tweaked it for my use.)
You will need an 8.5 x 11 sheet of cardstock (paper won't work for this part - it must be cardstock).

1. On the 11 side, score the cardstock at 3 1/4", 3 3/4" and then at 8 1/4" and 8 3/4 "
2. On the 8.5 inch side score the paper at 3/4", 1 1/4" and then at 7 1/4" and 7 3/4"



3. Cut the flaps as shown in this photo - by cutting away where the black is.



4. The shorter end at the top is the flap of the envelope box. You might want to round the corners on that and on the side tabs that fold in.
5. Fold on all scored lines.
6. Use very stick double sided tape to adhere the bottom flap to the tabs that fold in. (it folds just like an envelope.)
7. Decorate as desired. I used a small magnet under the flap and on the envelope to snap the box closed, but you could use ribbon adhered with brads to tie it together or a small piece of velcro on each side.
Use your imagination..and remember...it's QUICK, EASY, and INEXPENSIVE! (And it makes a great gift!)

3 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing the how-to's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing tutorial Susan! I completely love your simple but stunning cards!

    ReplyDelete